Friday, April 15, 2011

Guest Post from a College Senior

Today's post comes from Sean Barnett a senior college student set for graduation in a few weeks.


Hey gang,

My name is Sean Barnett and I’m about to graduate in May.  I really wish I had stumbled upon the college textbook rental scene sooner.   It doesn’t matter which vendor you choose, you can save tons of money by renting your textbooks.  I feel like this blog really is hitting the nail on the head concerning how students can save money and create a better college experience, so I felt led to guest blog and help tell students about renting textbooks.

Companies like CollegeBookRenter.com allow you to save up to 85% on your textbooks each semester. Since the average student spends at least $350 a semester on books, just think how much money you could save.

Renting your books is also a lot less hassle. You cut out the long search in the bookstore, the wait for the bookstore representative to print off your schedule, the long lines at the bookstore check out, and the hardship of carrying all your books – even the ones you will probably never crack open – to your dorm or car. 

In addition to the savings and the hassle you avoid, the student is usually given a little more wiggle room should they decide to return a book for a full refund when renting.  I’ve seen 15 to as many as 30 days time to return a book for a full refund!

On the flip side, there are many reasons students are hesitant to rent their textbooks.  Some are simply afraid of the concept. They fear that they may get a book that’s in bad shape.  Some don’t like the idea of being tied down by a rental period.

 There are answers to a few of these issues.  For starters, many online rental sites give the option for students to extend their rental period.  Often times this is for a small additional fee.  Should a student decide they want to keep the book, they can usually buy the book by paying the difference. Many of these textbook rental sites also offer digital rentals, which is another monster I’ll tackle in future blogs.

I just want to conclude by saying that I think renting your textbooks is the way to go in college. I wish I would have known about it sooner.

Happy Renting,
Sean Barnett

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment